Total Pageviews

Sunday 21 August 2011

Bad luck... good luck.

After the epic journey and things going wrong the other weekend I was feeling pretty much like most of the bad luck was coming my way. **sad face**

Looking back now I feel a bit silly, because the race that I ended up being so gutted about missing ended up with a nasty crash 750m from the finish line. 3 out of 4 of my team mates came down with the 4th, Ang, diving into a nearby hedge to avoid the carnage and got back on to get a top 10 finish. I'm now thinking that this Laguna (which I hated so much on Sunday) breaking down on me was actually a blessing in disguise. They do say that everything happens for a reason...

For Essex Giro I took my reliable Volvo. What a difference it makes driving in an automatic through London!!! Traffic felt so stress free, and it felt like the car was driving itself. Perfect! Of course, it didn't break down :) The Essex Giro has 3 stages; on Saturday a TT of 3 laps around Hog Hill then a road race of 25 laps (of Hog Hill) then on Sunday a second road race of 5 laps of ~20km (hilly). I felt pants in the TT, usually my strongest event I just felt like a slug stuck to the course... luckily my time wasn't too bad, but it sucks to feel rubbish.

In the road race I sat in for the first 10 laps, watching who was trying to get away. Lucy Garner went up the road... followed by Anna Fischer.I realised this would be strong so I moved forward, with the intention of winding up the pace to drag them back - but I looked round and I was 100m off the front of the bunch, they just let me ride off. I dug deep and made that gap bigger and rode like I was doing the TT I should have done in the morning. Couldn't believe my luck that the bunch had let me sneak off the front! After a few laps alone, I was joined by Rachel Bamford then by Lucy Garner, the 3 of us worked hard to increase our gap on the bunch. Lucy won the sprint for 2nd and I took 3rd. Best ride I've ever done!


Or so I thought... I managed to sneak off the front again in Sundays' road race, I went with Lowri Bunn at the start of the 3rd lap, straight after the climb. The pair of us worked so well together that it felt like a 2up TT. After one lap together we had a 3min lead on the bunch, but unfortunately we were stopped at the top of the climb - the main bunch had been caught by the mens' race. Gino was adamant that a rule was being broken making us stop - a National A race, and the break away was more than 1min from the bunch. This now meant that the bunch knew how far away we were. When we got going again, I was in agony - the sudden stop just wrecked my legs. Lowri was amazing, did most of the work on the front until I felt good again. We got the gap up to 4mins, but on the final lap the bunch must have upped their game as the gap fell to 2mins... Anna regained the lead to take the overall win for the race. Lowri won the stage, and I was very pleased with 2nd - I took 2nd place overall... and this was my new best ever ride :)


I managed to sprain my wrist doing... um... well I don't really know, I just know it started really hurting and ended up having to go to the doctors. Splint on, painkillers and rest... not great when this is my last week of hard training before Ardeche comes round! So its bad luck-good luck-bad luck... hopefully this means some more good luck coming my way.

Darley Moor next, Ardeche and then finally National Track Championships. Soon I can put my feet up for a few weeks and chill out before the winter training commences!

No comments:

Post a Comment