Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 July 2011

The day I wrote off my parents' car.

SatNav ETA’s are there to be beaten aren’t they? So when you watch the minutes dropping off it makes you feel pretty good… but then when things get in your way and slow you down – like drivers doing 25 in a 30 zone… (OK, that’s just me being irrational) or people driving along at 30 in a 60 zone (that’s worth getting ratty about)… it just makes the journey feel a bit more stressful.

I did this journey alone, probably for the best with my awful karaoke style singing along to the radio… and yes it does get worse when I lose reception to the radio and it goes quiet… I seem to get more out of tune – must be bad if I can tell my own singing is awful.

Here I am blogging from the roadside…  I’ve left Kara’s beautiful Welsh home (and my gosh is she one heck of an awesome hostess, cannot thank her enough for making us feel so welcome) I’ve driven a few hours down the road towards today’s race in Abergavenny and my car has broken down…. So thought I’d make a start on my next blog!  Going back in time… here’s what happened for my weekend away.

I broke my race bike during last week – snapped the already lose frame mount for the bottle cage out – but thankfully a great friend of mine, Marty, came to the rescue with a lovely little carbon Blue bike for me to use – what a hero! Sadly that’s where my luck runs out… I managed to leave my wallet in the Volvo I share with my other half, and he drove said Volvo to Yorkshire on Friday leaving me with no money, no cards, no ID… nothing. Nightmare.



Mum came to my rescue, loaning me her Laguna with a full tank of petrol and some cash to tide me over the weekend… one of them “so you shall go to the ball” moments… but to the bike race… you get me.
After an epic 5hr journey from Reading to Tywyn on Saturday which included being parked up on the m42 for 30mins while a car that was on fire was dragged away… something in the engine bay going bang in my car and power dropping off (but still driving)… then getting to mid Wales and driving along country roads being stuck behind a learner – that sucks… then getting stuck behind a tractor – can my drive get any slower? Yes. I then got stuck behind some sheep being walked to the next field… which took 20mins. It was getting a bit touch and go if I would make it to the race on time.



I arrived in Tywyn with 45mins before the race was due to start, I ended up pratting around losing this and that by putting things down and got in a bit of a panic… I had no warm up aside from riding around the circuit twice at a steady pace behind the commissaires car. The race started, and it took me 10laps out of the 30lap race just to get warmed up and my legs to feel less dead from the drive… God did I miss Jody and his physio skills today! When I started feeling better I started attacking, and got away 4 times off the front – annoyingly I kept being brought back. I got away with another rider with 2.5laps to go, but we were brought back with 1 lap to go…  I was still in a fairly good position so contested the sprint, and came out with 8th. My team mates Gaby and Hannah got 4th and 7TH respectively. Curley contested each of the sprint primes and came away with 3rd both times, only to find out she was sprinting for points and not cash… I think she was a bit gutted :p

So, back to were I am right now... the Laguna limped its way over the mountains, went down to 1st gear at times. I figured it was a big ask of the car so didn't dwell too much... but driving along the twisty roads it suddenly lost all power - I tried as hard I could to get it towards the turn off ahead, and away from the blind bend that it cut out on... but it didn't make it that far, and died just short of another blind bend. The car behind me narrowly missed driving into me as they hadn't seen me until they were basically upon me, I closed my eyes and hoped :( I got out the car and ran over to the junction... only to watch as another car overtook the Laguna as 5 motorbikes came round the other blind bend rather fast. I had to turn away, and the sound of screeching brakes set me off crying. I was so thankful to see a police officer turn up, he helped to slow the traffic down and put up some warning signs. phew. It only took 30mins for Greenflag to get to me, but they couldn't get the car going so they arranged for another truck to drive me back to Reading.



 I was sat in a small Welsh layby, just outside of Builth Wells writing this blog awaiting a second recovery truck to tow me back to Reading, he turned up within 15mins - even faster! I do hope he’s a nice guy as its going to be one heck of a long journey home!



In the recovery truck we drove through Abergavenny – the location of today’s race… that I missed. Gutted. On the upside he was a really nice guy so the conversation was great for the journey home!

Arriving home my (engineer) dad looked over the car… and after a few tests of bits and poking around and unscrewing things he came to the conclusion the engine had “dropped a valve” and that it’s a write off. I was shocked at how well they handled this situation… me borrowing their car for a weekend and returning it on a flatbed truck written off. Ooops. Well, as I’ve eaten so much food in preparation for today’s race I guess it’s only right that I go out and ride my bike.

Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. blimey, when it rains it pours. should have given me a shout as Aber is only about half hour away x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Si... but as it was your birthday I figured you may still have been drunk/hungover at 11.30am :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having your car die down on a blind blend can be pretty scary. Good thing there was a police officer to assist in the traffic. Riding a bicycle is a good form of exercise. I also bike around our neighborhood during my leisure time.

    Stelle Courney

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be very thankful of that police officer… Tsk. The best thing to do in a situation like that is to act coolly, just like what you did. What was that race you missed, btw?
    Oliver Sykes

    ReplyDelete